Life post: Postgraduate/Job Applications

by - Monday, July 08, 2013

Today I want to talk about life after finishing a degree, and what that means. Now, I'm not expert, granted I've only been a 'post graduate' officially for about a week, before that I wasn't officially 'studying' but nervously awaiting my results. It's a strange time, like being I'm limbo. Not knowing if all the hard work was worth it but also not wanting to know incase it's disappointing news etc. and then there's all the talk about job hunting. I started working in retail at the age of 16 when I got a part time job in my local cooperative supermarket. It was... A valuable? Experience. In the sense that it made me realize I never wanted to work in retail again after I left, but alas, when you only have retail experience finding other part time work is often impossible. And so it came to pass that I have since gone from establishment to establishment. Working in retail has been, on the whole fine. It doesn't set my life on fire, and I certainly do not have the tolerance for certain aspects of the job but it has supported me financially throughout all of my educational endeavors and good customer service is a valuable attribute in other areas of life too. Anyway, I digress! Where was I? Right, so I'm now a 'graduate' and that means finding a 'real' job. One that will get me on to the first rung of my chosen career ladder. One that leads to a classroom. Yep. I want to teach. It hasn't been a decision I've made lightly. And over certainly been known to change my mind when it comes to what I want to 'do' with my life, but for now this is what I want. This is what I have worked towards for the last three years and now it's finally time to start making my way towards that ladder and climbing my way up. Am I ready? Maybe, I don't know. I can only find out if I try. My immediate plan is to gain a little experience working in a school before going on to a PGCE. And so far I'm mildly optimistic. This is major for me. I am not optimistic; I will find something negative to focus on in almost any situation. But it's something I'm working on. How am I supposed to expect someone to have faith in me if I don't have faith in myself? If I don't think I'm good enough for a job, there's 100% chance the employer will agree with me, so it's all about having a positive attitude. You know what? I am good enough, I have worked hard and I am proud of myself for achieving what I have. If I don't get a job offer after and interview, it just makes room for the next opportunity. That or I just wasn't good enough, but you have to have faith that something will come up. Someone will want you. It might take months, endless applications and knock backs but something will come up. It's hard work and often demoralizing trying to find a job, but you have to know your own worth, even getting offered an interview is a big achievement, regardless of the result. This week I have three interviews for various roles and I'm nervous. I'm not going to lie. I have sat here and thought, 'I'm not good enough, I won't get offered a job, they're going to think I'm stupid' but then I look back and think about what I have managed to achieve so far and how far I've come and I think, you know what!? I am good enough. If they don't think I'm a good fit, then I just have to accept that and look for the next opportunity. I'm not sure why I felt l needed to write about this subject but I guess it's quite a prominent aspect of my life right now. This is the start of my journey, and I'm a little bit excited. Ask me again in six months time if I'm still optimistic, but for now! Lets do this! 

Thank you for reading.  

You May Also Like

0 comments